Friday, March 7, 2008

Writing Challenge!


Just some participatory fun for your Friday afternoon or weekend entertainment....

Presumably your high school cheerleader's uniforms were better than this! This was Louisiana State University's idea of a good time back in the early 40s. (Click on the photo for its source.)

I hunted this up because an online acquaintance and I briefly riffed on high school mottos. I thought it was fun, and I thought I'd give you a chance to wax nostalgic or get your snark on and write a faux motto for your high school.

Here's our conversation:

Tiisi: My best friend in high school and I used to roar our alma mater when we were drunk. I always wanted our colors to be red and white, so they’d rhyme:

“Guided by our love for Mary
And our motto, ‘God, my light!’
Ever onward, alma mater,
With our colors, red and gold!"

Sundry: Oh, that does kind of stink. ;) I don’t think we had a motto. If we did it would have probably been more like:

“Guided by our love for corn
We are farmers, local born
Graduate and live near home
No one expects any better of you, you smart-aleck little upstart.”

But we did have a real Cougar skin nailed up above the basketball net in the gym.



I'd love to hear your faux mottos, darlings. They don't have to be this catty.

C'mon, show some spirit!

No comments: